Visas and immigration

Please see the UKCISA website and the British Council website . Both organisations produce useful information and guidance that will assist you in applying for a visa and help to prepare you for life in the UK.

There are three main types of visa available for study:

  • Student
  • Short-term study (11 months on English language courses)
  • Standard Visitor

Student Route

Student Visa: full-time study

Most international students planning to study any course apart from English language courses in the UK for longer than six months will need to apply for Entry Clearance as a student under Student Route of the new Points Based Immigration System, before travelling to the UK.

Check the UK Immigration & Visas website to see if you need to obtain entry clearance to come to the UK for your planned study. Further information about student sponsorship is available from the UK Immigration & Visas Website.

Short-term study Visa: 11 months

If you are coming to the UK to study an English language course for a maximum of eleven months and are 16 or over, you may be able to apply for a short-term study visa (11 months).

Standard Visitor Visa: 6 months

If you are coming to the UK and study with us on any short course (including English language courses) for a maximum of six months and are 16 or over, you may be able to apply for a standard visitor visa (6 months).

However, please note that the short-term study visa and standard visitor visa:

  • Does not allow you to work, even if it was part of your course
  • Does not allow you to extend your time in the UK beyond your original course of study
  • Does not allow you to switch to other type of visa while you are still in the UK

Further information about coming to the UK as a short-term student is available on the UK Visas and Immigration website .

A note about overseas qualifications

If you are unsure whether your Qualifications are accepted in the UK, please contact UK ENIC to check the equivalence of your country’s qualifications with those in the UK. Further information is available online at .