Art and Design (Graphic Design) Level 3 Extended Diploma
This course is designed to take you through a comprehensive range of different graphic design and multimedia techniques and disciplines. The aim of the course is to provide you with the opportunity to explore and develop a wide range of graphic design skills both digital and non-digital, to help you to progress to either further or higher education or employment in the industry. Related careers in this area of study include graphic design, illustration, web design, advertising, packaging design, concept art, marketing, animation, motion graphics, publishing (magazine and newspaper design).
- Level 2 qualification or GCSEs x 4 at grade 4/C - one to be grade 4/C in ENGLISH OR MATHS dependent on vocational subject to be studied
- You will be asked to provide evidence of your ability in the subject which could be in the form of a portfolio
- Successful attendance at interview event
You will complete six units in year one and seven units in year two.
Units and content covered include:
Visual recording in art and design
- Critical & contextual studies
- Graphics media, techniques and technology
- Materials, techniques and processes
- Logo design
- Graphic illustration
- Developing an art & design portfolio
- The creative process
- Typography & typographic design
- Packaging design
- Web page design
- Managing a client brief
- Curating an exhibition
- Drawing and printmaking
- Maths and English
Assessment & Feedback
During year one of the course four units are internally set and assessed assignments/projects, two units: Visual Recording & Communication and Critical & Contextual Studies are externally set and assessed by BTEC. During year two five units are internally set and assessed assignments/projects, two units: Managing a Client Brief and Developing and Realising Creative Intentions in Art & Design are externally set and assessed by BTEC. Your work will be assessed through a mixture of practical tasks, supporting written material, projects presented in sketchbooks and controlled assessments set by BTEC. Your progress will be supported by regular on-going feedback throughout your course.
FREE to UK/EU under 19s not in employment.
- Art and Design Level 4 Foundation Diploma
- Higher education at university or college, including our BA (Hons) Graphic Design at University Centre Southend
- Students have successfully progressed to degree courses in Graphic Design, Motion Graphics, Illustration, Digital Advertising, Computer Games Design, Graphic Communication, Animation and Photography at a range of external HE institutions including Camberwell, Norwich, Goldsmith’s, UCA, UAL-London College of Communications, Falmouth, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Greenwich, Ravensbourne, Wimbledon and London Metropolitan Universities