Applied Science Level 3 Extended Diploma
This course is ideal for those interested in following a career in science and its related areas, including: nutrition, medical research, pharmacology, medical physics and environmental science. Subjects studied on this course include the fundamentals of science, working in the science industry, scientific investigations, scientific practical techniques, perceptions of science and using mathematical tools in science. Progression to higher education is strongly advised following this course.
- 4 x GCSEs at grade 4/C two of which must be maths and science
- Successful attendance at interview event
- Principles and applications of science
- Practical scientific procedures and techniques
- Science investigation skills
- Laboratory techniques and their application
- Investigative project
- Contemporary issues in science
- Physiology of human body systems
- Human regulation and reproduction
- Genetics and genetic engineering
- Diseases and infection
- Applications of organic chemistry
- Microbiology and microbiological techniques
- Practical chemical analysis
- Medical physics applications
- Maths and English
Assessment & Feedback
Coursework, assignment tasks (written reports, graphs and posters, projects) and performance observation assessments.
FREE to UK/EU under 19s not in employment.
- Higher education at university or college to study a science-based degree
- Seek employment as a junior or trainee technician in a hospital, or in areas such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals or dental technology