Entry to the Uniformed Public Services Level 3 Extended Diploma
If you are thinking of a career in the public services sector, this course could be ideal for you. It is the perfect course to find out more about the public services and what you would need to know to join them.
This is a full time, Advanced Level 3 BTEC qualification in which you study a whole range of subjects that give you an excellent understanding of public services. The course is designed to give you a good underpinning knowledge of the public services and develop some essential skills that you will need in the future. At the end of your course you will have an excellent CV that will include both the academic qualifications you need, plus a series of career enhancing skills, such as teamwork, communication and problem solving.
In addition to the main qualification you will study functional skills. You will learn in a variety of ways, from traditional class activities and lessons to practical activities such as working in teams.
The course consists of a mixture of lectures, practical activities, oral presentations, tutorials, individual research and group work. Guest speakers from other relevant public services will also visit lessons. As part of the programme you will be encouraged to undertake a variety of outdoor activities, including visits to various public services such as the fire service, prisons and the police. You will also take part in expeditions which may involve overnight stays.
In addition to general class work, you will be using a range of textbooks for research purposes, as well as the IT facilities in the Learning Resource Centre. You will also be encouraged to participate in the college recreational sporting activities within the structured college programme.
- Level 2 qualification or GCSEs x 4 at grade 4/C - one to be grade 4/C in ENGLISH OR MATHS dependent on vocational subject to be studied
- Successful attendance at interview event
- Crime scene investigation in practice
- Understand the impact of war and conflict on uniformed services
- Develop aspects of physical fitness for entry to the uniformed services
- Understand conflict management and personal protection
- Develop leadership skills
- Understand discipline in uniformed public services
- Prepare for employment in a chosen uniformed service
- Develop skills for water-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Equality, diversity and the public services
- Uniformed services hierarchy and routine
- Mental and physical wellbeing
- Assist in planning and leading adventurous activities
- Understand planning for emergency situations in the uniformed services
- Security procedures in the uniformed services
- Emergency planning and response in the uniformed services
- UK legal systems and uniformed services
- Participate in a sports coaching session
- Participate in uniformed service routine
* Modules are subject to modification and all students will have an active input into the Year two modules which they will study
Assessment & Feedback
Presentations, reports, essays, exhibitions and discussions.
FREE to UK/EU under 19s not in employment.
- Higher education at university or college to study subjects such as criminology or sociology
- Apply for a career in any of the public services including the Police Service, Ambulance Service, Fire and Rescue Service, Army, RAF, Royal Navy, Customs and Excise or Prison Service