This is an ideal course if you want to improve your English skills. Available as full-time or part-time programme.
This is a general English course covering reading, writing, speaking and listening as well as grammar and vocabulary development. Apart from the general English classes, full-time students will also attend two extra workshops. These workshops enable you to personalise the course content and focus on areas that you would like to improve. We also offer a full-time course incorporating IELTS hours.
- Generally, the course starts in September and January
- Each semester lasts 16 weeks
- We offer flexible start and end dates throughout the year
- Students will also have the opportunity to prepare for a well-known Cambridge English qualification which they can use in the UK and in their home country
- It is a grammar-based course which covers all the basic language skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking as well as vocabulary development.
- You can progress through the various levels
- A student visa may be required for non-EU students
- Information for International students can be found on our International webpage.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this course, please complete our online application form. Alternatively, you can fill out a paper application form (you can pick these up from reception; they are also in the back of our prospectuses) and mail it to our freepost address:
South Essex College
Southend on Sea
There are no formal entry requirements. However, you will need to attend an interview and take a short assessment to find out your level and the best course for you. Non-EU students may need a student visa.
You will attend classes for 15 hours a week. The classes usually take place during the day from Monday to Friday, depending on your level. Evening classes may also be available.
We offer three two-hour sessions a week and each class is held on a different day. Most classes do take place during the day, although evening classes are usually available. Evening classes are twice a week on a Tuesday and Thursday.
Assessment & Feedback
All students will have the opportunity to take a Cambridge English exam (KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE) at the end of each semester. All exams are mapped on the Common European Framework qualifications A1 – C2. Exams are at extra cost.
Adult, part_time_day: £730
Course cost is for UK & EU students only
Please see the Courses and fees webpage for information for international students. Students who are studying for only part of a semester are subject to pro-rata fees. Information for International students can be found on our International webpage.
You can continue studying with us in the next semester or you might like to study a different course at the College. If you would like to go to university, then you might need to progress onto our IELTS preparation course. For more information, please call us on 01702 220440 and ask to speak to the EFL team, or email us at EFL@southessex.ac.uk.