Education and Training Level 5 Diploma
This course fulfils the professional requirements for becoming a teacher in the Lifelong Learning Sector.
The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is a teaching qualification which has a teaching/training practice requirement. It is an ‘in service’ qualification designed for those working or wishing to work as teachers/trainers.
This course is ideal for you if you work, or want to work as a teacher/trainer in the further education and skills sector; if you are in or want to start a career in a teaching/training role; if you are a teacher/trainer who is seeking career progression in your area of work; or if you have completed the City and Guilds Award in Education and Training, or Award in Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector and wish to progress.
- Must hold a Level 3 qualification in Subject Specialism
- A minimum of 50 hours of teaching during each year of study (total 100 hours across 2 years of study) during which you have full responsibility for planning, delivering and assessing specific area/s of the institution’s provision. The placement should be within a local school teaching 14-plus students, a local sixth-form teaching post-16 learners or a local college teaching post-16 or adult learners
- A Mentor in the workplace who is a qualified teacher/lecturer (i.e. PgCE, Cert. Ed or DTLLs.) and where possible is a subject specialist in the same area as the trainee teacher. Where the mentor is not a subject specialist the trainee teacher will require the support of a named subject coach
- A completed Teaching and Mentor Hours form from your workplace which you will be provided with prior to the diagnostic event to confirm both of the above
- Satisfactory initial assessment in literacy. You will be invited to one of our diagnostic events where you will undertake a 1 hour online diagnostic assessment at L2 for English and a 30 minute hand written exercise. Applicants are expected to achieve a score of 50% in order to be made an offer onto the course. Therefore, we encourage you to do some revision prior to this session. You will find GCSE revision guides or functional skills books at level 2 suitable. Additionally, there are also variety of websites for practice materials, we recommend:
- Work placements within an educational or community environment will require an enhanced DBS check
The qualification covers the knowledge and skills required by teachers/trainers in the further education and skills sector, such as:
- Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Developing teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Theories, principles and models of education and training
- Wider professional practice and development in education and training
Trainees who successfully complete this qualification will take an analytical and practical approach to all aspects of planning, delivering and assessing inclusive teaching and learning. Whilst doing this, trainees will embed theories and principles in education and training and demonstrate them in their practice. They will also carry out research into professionalism in education and training policies and consider their impact on their role and their accountability as a teacher/trainer.
Assessment & Feedback
Assessment of units is coursework-based, and eight classroom-based observations are carried out across the two years.
£1750 per year
The course cost stated is per academic year. Course fee based on 2018-19 for UK/EU students.
After completion of the course you will be able to apply for Qualified Teacher: Learning and Skills status (QTLS). QTLS is equivalent to but distinct from QTS (Qualified Teacher Status for ages 5-11 or 11-18 in schools).