Access to HE (Level 3)

Access to Higher Education (Nursing & Midwifery) Level 3 Diploma

Duration Age Group Study Year Cost Available Locations
£3,384 * Southend Campus, Thurrock Campus
Duration Age Group Study Year Cost Available Locations
£3,384 * Southend Campus, Thurrock Campus


This course is for people that would like to study on a Higher Education programme in the Health Professions e.g. the Adult Nursing (Hons), but need to gain the required entry qualifications and skills.

Entry Requirements

You must be aged 19 or above by the 31st of August 2022.

You must have at least one GCSE C/4 or above in either English Language or Maths, or a Level 2 in Functional Skills (evidence of this will be required during the application cycle).

Ideally you will have both. However, if you only hold the one, you may work towards the one that you do not have whilst studying for your Access Diploma; this will be dependent on being accepted onto a Level 2 course, either GCSE or Functional Skills.

Many universities require GCSE Maths and English rather than an equivalent. It is your responsibility to begin checking which qualifications you require with the university or college you wish to progress to.

It is also important to note that if you wish to go on to study Midwifery at university you will need GCSE Maths, English and Science at grade C or above.

Course Structure

You will study a range of different units across the programme, some focusing on your academic skills and some more subject specific, such as:

  • Introduction to Healthcare
  • Health and disease
  • Principles of care
  • Sociology of Health
  • Mental health
  • Human Anatomy and Physiology
  • Independent research

Assessment & Feedback

Assessment is through a range of assessment techniques which may include assignments, presentations and examinations.

Course Cost

Advanced learner loan may be available

Adult, full_time: £3,384

Course fee based on 2021-22 for UK residents. Non-UK citizens will need to provide sufficient document/s confirming your right to live and study in the UK e.g. confirmation of settled status.

What Next...

You can progress to health-related higher education programmes at university or college, including nursing, midwifery and the allied health professions such as occupational therapy.

Important note about paramedic sciences

If you would like to study paramedic sciences then you will need to study the Access to Science and not Nursing and Midwifery.