Hair and Makeup Design and Application for Production FdA
If you require any support with your UCAS application, please contact the HE Admissions team firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is validated by the University of the Arts London (UAL)
This programme is designed to advance and enhance skills and techniques in makeup design and application for production. Units will cover the following; a vast study of wig and postiche construction, hair styling for all hair types, Makeup for all skin tones, historical, economic and social accurate makeup and collaborative industry project in addition to the acquisition of academic higher-level skills, research and industry experience supporting student’s progression into employment.
The programme aims to train students to be multiskilled makeup artists who are prepared for industry in a commercial or production setting. In partnership with The Backstage Centre, students will be able to experience a real working environment with collaborative projects and industry partnerships.
On successful completion of this Foundation degree (FdA), you will be able to progress on to the final 'Top-up' year of study to gain your full BA (Hons) Hair and Makeup Design and Application for Performance. Full details and applications for the top-up year are yet to be published, please check back for updates.
- 64 UCAS points
- GCSE English at Grade 4 and maths at Grade 3 or English Grade C and maths Grade D
- Either Level 3 media makeup qualification or art-based A-levels (e.g. costume, art and design, textiles, photography, media) or similar level 3 qualification
- Access to HE qualification
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- APEL (Accreditation of Prior (Experiential) Learning)
Applicants who do not meet these course entry requirements may still be considered in exceptional cases. The course team will consider each application that demonstrates additional strengths and alternative evidence.
- Safe working practice
- Historical accuracy and hair and makeup application for diverse skin tones
- Social and economic study of hair and makeup
- Cultural makeup and hair styles & trends
- Bio-sensitivity and etiquette
- Styling textured and afro hair
- Wig and facial postiche construction
- Wig application and maintenance
- Creating injuries for TV and film
- Industry analysis and business
- Collaborative project
Year three (BA (Hons) Top-up year)*
- Makeup and hair for visual effects
- Advanced casting techniques
- Final major collaborative project
- Portfolio development
*On successful completion of the Foundation degree (FdA), you will be able to progress on to the final 'Top-up' year of study to gain your full BA (Hons) Hair and Makeup Design and Application for Performance.
Assessment & Feedback
- Portfolio submission
- Written Essays
- Summative practical assessments
- Research sketchbook
- There are no examinations
£8,000 per year
Fees are per academic year for Home/UK students.
The following course-related costs are included in the fees:
- Guest speakers, visiting lecturers and industry focussed workshops will be included in your course over the three years.
- Third Year students will have the opportunity to showcase their final year work at the end of their studies. This may be a local, national or online platform. Event/exhibition costs will be covered by the Faculty of HE. In the past this has included New Designers. Students will be responsible for any additional costs associated with the production of their personal project (ie: printing, materials).
- Annual £20 of printing credit per year.
- Free Car Parking at Backstage Centre, Purfleet.
The focus of this programme is to equip the learner with the required skills and techniques needed to progress directly into the Film, TV and Stage Makeup industry.